Cecil Con Staff
Web Master & Event Coordinator
Meredith S. Keating
If you have any ideas to contribute to the convention then please send us an email. We’d like to hear your suggestions to make Cecil Con a success!
– Minors are allowed but must be accompanied by someone over the age of 16.
– Photography is welcome but only with permission of those included in the photos.
– Weapon props are allowed but must adhere to the detailed guidelines below.
– Cosplay, of course, is allowed and encouraged but must be appropriate as stipulated in the detailed guidelines.
Please read over the rules set forth for Cecil Con as dictated by Cecil College guidelines. It is the responsibility of all attendants to read and adhere to these rules while in attendance at the convention. Cecil Con staff members reserve the right to ask any attendant who’s not observing the rules to leave the convention grounds immediately. We know it’s not fun, but thank you!
– No running on Cecil College campus or in the buildings.
– Please sit or stand at the sides of the convention hallways. To cut down on hallway congestion we ask that you don’t stand in the middle of hallways.
– We do not allow loud noisemakers, air horns, etc. If a prop is too noisy, we reserve the right to ask you to put it in your car for the remainder of the con.
– Alcohol is also strictly prohibited at Cecil Con. We will notify Campus Security to confiscate it, and you will be asked to leave immediately.
– Illegal drugs are strictly prohibited at Cecil Con. If you are caught with any, Campus Security will be notified.
– Cecil College is a Smoke-Free Campus. If you must smoke we ask you to leave campus and go across the street to the nearest shopping center.
– Do not roughhouse, play fight, wrestle, or mosh.
– No use of profanity. Cecil Con is a family-friendly event and we ask that attendees act accordingly because there are children present.
– Partial or full nudity is not allowed. If Cecil Con staff deems your costume (or lack thereof) inappropriate, we reserve the right to ask you to leave the convention until you are wearing the appropriate amount of clothing.
– Shoes are required within the convention area. Rollerblades and Heelies are not allowed.
– Shoplifting will not be tolerated. If you are found stealing from other attendees, the Exhibition Hall, or anywhere on the campus, you will be reported to the authorities and removed from the convention.
– The Cecil Con committee has certain rooms and areas booked on the Cecil College campus. Cecil Con attendees, who are not students at the college, ARE NOT permitted to go into areas that have not been designated for the convention.
– Do not enter any rooms or areas designated “STAFF ONLY” or “GUESTS ONLY”. These areas are off-limits to attendees.
– Refrain from unwanted physical contact of others (ie, glomping/kissing/hugging without permission). Always ask first!
If Cecil Con staff or Cecil College Campus Security deems your behavior to be inappropriate or disruptive, we reserve the right to ask you to leave.
– All attendees who will be under the age of 16 on the date of the convention will be required to be accompanied by someone over the age of 16. Anyone who is 16 is permitted to be at the convention unchaperoned. We believe that is you’re old enough to drive, you should be old enough to know how to act appropriately.
– There will be a Kid’s Room at Cecil Con but any kids (15 and younger) must be with a chaperone, parent, or guardian at all times. The convention staff cannot be held responsible for watching over any children.
– We have Designated Photographers, they will ask permission before taking your photo, but by coming to the Con you consent that you may end up in the background of a photo. These photos may be featured on our Facebook, Twitter, or Website pages.
– Do not harass guests or attendees for photos. It is proper procedure to first ask if you may take a photo. If they decline, please respect their request.
– Please be considerate when stopping to take photos in the hallway by making the photo op quick and not blocking the main flow of hallway traffic. There are many outdoor areas that would be great for photos.
We encourage you to come in costume, but for the safety and convenience of the other Cecil Con attendees, your costume must adhere to the following rules. Security reserves the right to inspect items brought to the convention, and to deny costume pieces or weapons they deem dangerous or inappropriate. If you violate any policy, you will be asked to leave. If you have any questions about the policies, please Contact Us.
– All weapons must be registered at Registration Desk upon entry to the convention.
– No real weapons are allowed.
– No guns or firearms of any kind. This is school policy and out of our control. This includes fake guns and toy guns, regardless of whether they are capable of firing a projectile. Do not bring anything that is or resembles a gun.
– Nothing that fires a projectile or liquid, or is capable of firing a projectile or liquid, is allowed.
– No flails, nunchucks, or anything on a chain of more than 2 inches is allowed.
– All props must be under 5 feet in length.
– No live steel is permitted, that is, any metal that can take an edge, regardless of whether it is sharp or dull. No metal blades are permitted, regardless of whether they are contained in a sheath.
– Simulated weapons (such as swords, axes, knives, maces, spears) made of alternate materials such as plastic, foam, and wood are permitted, provided that they are neither heavy nor sharp enough to be used as a weapon, or pose a real or accidental threat to other attendees.
– Bows are allowed to be strung.
– Any arrows you bring cannot have tips, and must be affixed, that is, unable to be removed from the quiver.
– No incendiary items are allowed. Do not bring anything that is capable of burning, exploding, or combusting.
– Masks are allowed; however, they must be easily removable.
– ID is required and must be presented at the front information booth of the Con if you are going to be wearing a mask.
– Signs that are part of your cosplay are permitted. They must be relevant to the cosplay, and no larger than 18 inches by 18 inches (one-and-a-half feet). They cannot contain foul language, unrelated propaganda, or solicitation.
Please be mindful of your costume. Cecil Con is held at Cecil College, not a convention center, and we utilize both classrooms and common areas, so your costume must be able to fit through an average-size door frame, move across carpet, and go up and down stairs. Areas of the building could potentially become crowded, so make sure you can move freely in your costume, and that it won’t cause you or others to stumble, and won’t be damaged if others bump into you. You may pose for photos for reasonable lengths of time, but please do not hinder the flow of traffic through the convention.
What to watch out for, when out and about, with people wearing mascot or masked costumes.
When approaching someone in one of these costumes:
– Don’t come up from the sides, or the back. People wearing a fluffy animal head, or a helmet has little to no visibility. This makes it hard for them to see everyone that is coming at them.
– Don’t run up and try to hug them with out asking. This can startle the costumer, and cause harm to more than one.
– If you see someone looking like they might pass out, let a staff member know. It’s hot in those types of costumes and we need to make sure everyone at the con is having a good time.
– If you’re dressing in this type of cosplay make sure you’re drinking lots of water, and eating a good meal before getting suited up! Many people might not remember to do these simpler things, and need help to keep healthy and safe.